Syracuse women’s soccer settles for scoreless tie with Fordham

SU women’s soccer settles for 0-0 tie with Fordham

After 110 minutes of playing time, neither squad could find the back of the net on Sunday.
Published: September 19, 2019
Alternative Text
Meghan Root (24) and Danielle Etienne (8) fight for the ball during Sunday's game at the SU Soccer Stadium.

With Syracuse and Fordham both struggling to find the back of the net so far this season, it seems fitting that the two squads played to a 0-0 tie Sunday.

Entering the final game of non-conference play for the 2019 season, Syracuse women’s soccer returned home looking to snap their four-game losing streak and 388-minute goal drought.

With a record of 1-5-1 and a 222-minute goal drought coming into the match, Fordham was similarly trying to find momentum before heading into its own conference play.

Syracuse also was hindered by a significant number of injuries, including star forward Sydney Brackett, so the biggest challenge for Syracuse’s starting 11 was maintaining a high level of intensity for the entire match.


SU Women's Soccer
Alex Steigelfest (28) and Kendall Dandridge (16) fight for the ball during the game at the SU soccer stadium on Sept.15.

From the kickoff until the final whistle, SU seemed to want to meet that challenge. The first half was defined by physicality and the constant pressure applied by Syracuse, forcing Fordham to try to maintain possession and slow down the pace of the game.

As the first half progressed, Syracuse remained in control, creating chances specifically on the right-wing and through set-pieces. Exposing the right-wing, the Orange were able to cross the ball into the box multiple times, forcing seven corners before halftime. Although Syracuse was on the front foot for almost the entire first half, the team was unable to crack the Fordham defense.

Saige Bingman (12) and Marisa Fischetti (5) fight for the ball during the game at the SU soccer stadium on Sept.15. Photo by Zoe Davis for the Newshouse.
Saige Bingman (12) and Marisa Fischetti (5) fight for the ball during Sunday's game at the SU Soccer Stadium.

Throughout the second half, Fordham was able to grow into the game and maintain possession for longer periods of time. Neither side had many clear cut opportunities on goal for the majority of the half. Allowing Fordham to slow down the pace of the game showed the Orange were not as sharp as they were in the first half.

Then with 10 minutes left in regulation, the Orange had their best opportunity of the game, forcing a save from Fordham goalkeeper Kelly LaMorte before hitting the crossbar from the rebound. Syracuse found a second wind and reinitiated the high pressure from earlier in the match, but still could not break through Fordham’s defensive unit.

SU’s best opportunity in the first overtime period was the result of a free-kick. With the ball directed into the box, Alexandra Pannagio‘s first-time shot sliced just wide of the post.

Entering the second period of overtime, it was clear that Fordham was playing for a draw and Syracuse was going for the victory. Within these final 10 minutes, the Orange had a few more opportunities, including a shot saved by the Fordham goalkeeper and another free-kick.

Despite these efforts, Syracuse could not find the back of the net. At the final whistle, the score remained locked at 0-0.

Syracuse women’s soccer returns to action at 7 p.m. Friday opening ACC play at Pittsburgh.