Onondaga County sees 162% more cases this week

162% case increase

County Executive McMahon says virus doesn't discriminate
Published: April 2, 2020 | Updated: April 6th, 2020 at 10:53 am
Alternative Text

April 3, 2020 5:00 pm

Onondaga County has seen an 162% increase in Coronavirus cases in the last week, according to County Executive Ryan McMahon.

There are now 322 total positive cases in Onondaga County, up 21 from yesterday. This includes 26 individuals in the hospital, 15 of which are in critical condition. There are now 86 patients in the county that are considered recovered. And McMahon encouraged them all to sign up for Upstate and the Red Cross’s plasma donation program.

Mcmahon added today in his briefing that Onondaga County medical facilities are the medical hub of residents from not just Onondaga County and northern New York, but also the north country, near the Canadian border, and near the Pennsylvania borer.

The most affected cities and towns in the county are the city of Syracuse with 107 cases, Clay with 34 cases, Dewitt with 34 cases, Salina with 23 cases, Camilus with 21 cases, Cicero with 14, Manlius with 18, and Onondaga with 18.

“Geographically, the virus is everywhere,” said McMahon. “The virus does not care where you live, what you look like, or who you are. It just cares to attack.”

Onondaga County sees two more COVID-19 deaths
April 2, 2020 7:00 pm

County Executive Ryan McMahon announced the county’s second COVID-19 related death Thursday afternoon at the daily COVID-19 Media Briefing. The woman was in her 60s with underlying health problems.

Later that afternoon at around 5:45, McMahon announced the third death. The man was in his late 80s and already had some hindering health problems, according to CNY Central.

As of Thursday, there are 24 newly confirmed cases bringing the total to 301, while the number of those recovered increased to 75. Also, the county executive noted that of those currently hospitalized none of them are under the age of 20.

“If you’re healthy and you want to stay healthy, the safest thing to do is to stay home,” McMahon said.

Cases in critical condition double in two days
April 1, 2020 4:42 pm

14 people are in critical condition, double the number released on Monday. Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon read the “sobering” data in his daily press conference Wednesday afternoon.

“Any patient who is in critical condition is in ICU and they are in a fight,” McMahon said, “so, let’s remember our neighbors, and pray for them and their families.”

As of Wednesday, a total of 4,262 tests for COVID-19 have been administered. 277 cases have been confirmed in the county with 483 awaiting test results. Including the 14 in critical condition, there are 27 individuals hospitalized.

“Now we see more people getting very sick,” McMahon said.

However, six patients have been released since yesterday. Although they are not considered recovered cases, they are permitted to self-isolate at home.  In total, 67 individuals have recovered, with 12 being released from mandatory quarantine since Tuesday.

County executive says over 3,400 tests administered
March 31, 2020 5:00 pm

According to the county executive’s coronavirus update on Tuesday, there are now 249 confirmed cases in Onondaga County. This comes after the county has administered over 3,400 tests and an additional 400 tests pending.

Individuals being tested must stay in quarantine until the results of the test are received. If an individual tests positive a health official will contact the individual to gather information on their health as well as figure out who they have come in direct contact with.

At the press conference County Executive Ryan McMahon continued stressing the importance of social distancing. “This is common sense, but sometimes people don’t exercise common sense,” McMahon said. “If you’re sick and you’re still an essential employee, you need to stay home. If you’re sick don’t go to the grocery store or the drug store.”

Known coronavirus recovery cases surge to 41 in Onondaga
March 30, 2020 5:30 pm

While Onondaga County’s number of confirmed COVID-19 cases increased again Monday to 228, local officials also announced that 41 individuals who tested positive for the virus have recovered.

The first case of Coronavirus in Onondaga County was confirmed two weeks ago on March 16. Since then there have been around 3,000 tests administered, according to Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon. Among the 228 cases, seven individuals remain in critical condition.

There were 34 new cases confirmed since Sunday’s total. This is a small drop off from the 48 cases confirmed between Saturday and Sunday, the largest daily jump in the county.

The city of Syracuse remains the most afflicted area with 70 cases, followed by Clay with 29 cases. However, two communities — Onondaga Nation and Elbridge — have yet to report a confirmed case of COVID-19.

Anne Hayes

Jon Bon Jovi's son is suspected of having coronavirus
March 30, 2020 5:00 pm

In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, Jon Bon Jovi revealed his son Jake has contracted the coronavirus. Jake, who is set to attend Syracuse University in the fall, has mild symptoms but is still quarantined.

Bon Jovi told ET that Jake’s case was not confirmed due to inaccessibility to a test. However, the family took immediate precautions.

“We’ve been here 15 days now, not that I’m counting,” Jon Bon Jovi told ET. “Everyone here, Jake had a mild version of it, just the intestinal kind.”

Jake, who announced his decision to attend SU in February, has been quarantined separately from his family and will remain isolated until he is devoid of symptoms.

View this post on Instagram

And they said it was impossible

A post shared by 🦦🦦🦦🦦 (@jakebongiovi) on

Onondaga County bans parties and celebrations due to crisis
March 30, 2020 4:00 pm

On Friday, Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon declared all parties and celebrations to be cancelled and prohibited s a means to reduce the spread of the coronavirus and promote social distancing.

According to Syracuse.com, the ban comes after the county executive caught tailgaters at a closed golf course and proceeded to scold them.

Violators of the order could be charged with a class B misdemeanor as well as face civil actions.

Survey gives seniors a chance to choose Commencement ceremony
March 30, 2020 2:00 pm

With the in-person Commencement in May canceled, the class of 2020 has a chance to decide on what format they would like for an alternative celebration. Chancellor Syverud emailed a survey to all students scheduled to graduate this May.

The survey will remain active until Friday, April 3. Seniors and graduate students were given three options and provided additional space if they had alternative suggestions.

The first option is a virtual commencement. However, the university did not specify how they would facilitate this format.

Another alternative presented was Commencement held in the Carrier Dome in the fall semester. Some students have called for Commencement to be the first event held in the renovated Dome.
Students could also choose to have both a virtual commencement and an in-person ceremony in the fall.

Students surveyed by The NewsHouse were overwhelmingly opposed to virtual commencement, but wanted their accomplishments acknowledged in some special way.

Co Authors :