Introducing The NewsHouse’s food podcast, Personal Taste
Introducing our food podcast, Personal Taste
In our debut episode of the cooking podcast Personal Taste, Angie Alberto, a SUNY School of Environmental Science and Forestry sustainable energy management senior, talks about her favorite dish to cook for the people she loves.
Alberto’s love for cooking started at home with her mother, where she learned the black bean soup recipe she shares with podcast host Abby Fritz.
Angie Alberto’s Black Bean Soup
1.5 lbs of Black Beans
Water (Enough for a large pot)
Salt to taste (1-2 teaspoons)
3 cloves of Garlic
¾ Large white onion
- Chop onions and peel garlic cloves then add to a large pot full of water.
- Add in 1.5 lbs of black beans (if they are in a can, less water is needed).
- Season with salt to taste.
- Boil on high for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Lower temperature to medium and add more water as needed.
- Boil for a total of 2.5 hours on medium-high.
- Serve as a side dish or in a variety of meals. Alberto suggests serving as a protein on tostadas, in a burrito bowl, as a side or blend the beans and fry them throughout the week, making a thicker soup texture